The grilled cheese sandwich is the ultimate comfort food, and this recipe has a few tips to keep it gluten-free, keto-friendly, and includes one of our favorite gut healthy fermented foods: kimchi.
Now, you may be wondering...what is kimchi?
Kimchi is a fermented food that is popular in Korean cuisine, and it makes a great addition to this classic sandwich.
Cheese and kimchi are a match made in heaven. The tangy, spicy kimchi pairs perfectly with the rich, creamy cheese in this easy-to-make grilled cheese sandwich recipe.
This is sure to be a hit with our keto friends and kimchi lovers alike! Let’s get started!
Grilled Cheese with Kimchi
- Serves 1
- Prep 1 minute
- Cook 9 minutes
- Total 10 minutes
- 1 TBSP butter - we like Truly Grass Fed
- 2 slices GF bread - Base Culture Paleo Bread: 7 Nut & Seed
- 1 TBSP mayo - Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo
- Kashkaval Cheese
- OMP Classic Kimchi
- Heat butter over medium heat. Spread 1 side of each slice of bread with mayonnaise.
- Place the bread, mayonnaise-side-up, in the skillet. Divide your cheese evenly over the slices.
- When the cheese has just melted, add the Kimchi to one side.
- Use a spatula to close the sandwich. Press with the spatula to melt, then warm and flip until the bread is crusty-brown and the sandwich is warmed through, 2 to 4 minutes. Eat and enjoy!
Don't cook the ferments. Heating ferments above 144° F will pasteurize them, destroying all of the live cultures and probiotics. To avoid this, add ferments to your dish last. (Think garnish.)
How do I eat fermented foods for my gut health?
Our quick guide has the answers. Get 20+ meal ideas, tips, hacks and snacks for your best gut ever.